By Martha B. Jacob –
Georgetown Exempted Village Schools Board of Education met in regular session on Jan. 10, 2018 and promptly addressed the rules and regulations of its meeting.
Board meetings will be held on the third Wednesday of each month (unless otherwise specified) at 6 p.m. at its regular meeting place of the Jr/Sr/ High School Student Center.
The board approved and recognized Raymond Virost as president, Ralph Sininger as vice president, Raymond Virost as legislative liaison, Jon Linkous as student achievement liaison and Dick Colwell as Southern Hills JVS board member.
The board approved compensation for board members at $125 per meeting with a maximum of one meeting per month and fix the bond for the treasurer at $20,000, authorizing and directing the treasurer to provide a bond in that amount satisfactory to the board.
Other actions taken by the board included:
• authorize the treasurer to pay all bills as they are received and forego listing the bills in the minutes book;
• authorize the treasurer to secure advances on tax settlements from the Brown County Auditor when funds are available and payable to the district during the calendar year 2018;
• authorize the superintendent to accept resignations, make offers of employment directly to candidates;
• renew the legal services agreement with the firm of Ennis Britton, attorneys at law for 2018 at a rate of $225 per month plus postage and copy costs.
During the meeting, Amber Malott discussed the need for mental health services for the district as well as programs and projects that have been successful for the YWCA.
Board treasurer Eric Toole reported to the board members that he would like approval of the monthly financial report and that the District ended December with $3.9 million in the general fund and 145 days of operating case.
Toole also got approves to accept a $5,000 donation from RTS for the purchase of a new scoring table in the high school gym and a $25,000 (anonymous) grant for after-school programs.
Superintendent Christopher Burrows appointed board members to appropriate committees for 2018 and begin accepting bids for a bleacher replacement at the jr./Sr. High School gymnasium and to approve the specifications for the project.
The superintendent received approval of a contractual agreement for student transportation as well as approval of a 2 hour early release of students on Friday, Feb. 16 to allow teachers to fully complete the university requirement of 1 credit hour of Differentiated Learning.
Following an executive session the board approved the following stipends for the Before/After School Programs:
• Supervisors -Nina Miller $500
• 5 days/week – Heidi Hyde, Jennifer Floyd and Irene Kohne $500
• 3 days/week – Jill Scott, Jennie Campbell and Patsy Paul, $400
• 2 days/week, Shelby Mullins, Tuesday Nichols, JoNell Shay, Darlene Williams, Nicole Schmit, Hannah Barlow, Jennifer Broadwell, Morgan Gullett, DeeDee Faust, Molly Ellis, Chelsea Drake and Dan Smith, $300
• 1 day/week, Jamie Loudon, Pam McKinney and Erin Bright, $130.